Jakob Nielsen’s Usability Heuristics
Posted On July 17, 2018
Nowadays, I’m trying to broaden my knowledge on usability testing, and I just came across with the guy named Jakob Nielsen. If you are not familiar with him, he is a well-known usability consultant who is highly practical matters concerned user experience. I guess I have a long way to go on this subject, but it is always better to be on the road instead of just sitting and thinking about the journey.
There are a lot of sources on Nielsen’s principles for user interface design, but I want to mention them here briefly. Here they are;
- Visibility of system status
- Match between system and the real world
- User control and freedom
- Consistency and standards
- Error prevention
- Recognition rather than recall
- Flexibility and efficiency of use
- Aesthetic and minimalist design
- Help users recognize, diagnose, and recover from errors
- Help and documentation
Here is a good source which explains these principles with examples and here is Nielsen’s one of the latest speech at UX Conference 2017.